Monday, June 8, 2009

"What a Day"

So, I'm feeling a little deep today. I attended yet another funeral today, this time not my immediate family but for someone who is close to my heart. My brother in law lost his dad. I can totally relate to what he feels as I lost my dad when I as 16. People talked about how Godly he was and how he never missed an opportunity to talk to someone about God. Two years ago he lost his mom. I was asked by her sons if I would sing for her funeral. I did. I have sang at weddings, church functions, school functions but never at a funeral. All I could think about was the emotion that came with losing a loved one, let alone a parent. I prayed over and over for God to allow me to get through the song without breaking down. I managed to pull it off and at the same time felt peace doing it. When we got the news about his dad, I felt their pain once again. This time he has to bury his dad. I mean you dont think as a kid that you will bury your parents but to have to bury both is unimaginable to me. So, once again I sang for the funeral. The boys requested that I sing the song I sang for their moms. "What a Day That Will Be".... I don't know if you know the lyrics to the song...but I was in my car on the way home from and exhausting day and was singing the lyrics outloud to myself. Just me in the car by myself. And it was then that it hit me. "What a day that WILL be." I mean think for a minute. All our loved ones who have passed before us are enjoying life to their very fullest and we are here on earth thinking we are. Not at all...we may be living a good life or even a great life, but think about what they get. I can't imagine the feeling of being reunited with my dad, my papa, my granny. I mean I can only imagine the stories being told between Paul's parents and my family about us girls!! I often envy people who still have both parents. My dad has missed out on so much. WAIT...let me rephrase that one....we have missed out on so much. He's got everything. We are the ones who are missing out...not him. My kids never knew him. My husband never met him. I think of all that has happened in our lives and think of how he would be so proud. But to think that he can see all the glory of God right now is the most I would ever want for him. I miss them all so much and it hurts still to this day. But when we are reunited....."WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE"

3 comments:

  1. Don't ever tell me again that you cannot write. You make the reader feel what you feel. That is definetley a positive characteristic of a good writer. I love you, "P"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an encouragement to me, kel. I love you with every fiber in my body and I'm so thankful for you! Daddy would be so proud of you! I know I am!

    ReplyDelete

Followers